1. We've survived the first full week of school. I never remember being more tired or more busy. At some point, things should even out - but, right now, they are crazy. I couldn't be more happy to be on the sofa, in my pajamas, watching Hook for the three hundredth time...even if Mellow's snores are more elephant-like than gentleman-like.
2. I've also survived the first week of kindergarten homework and signed papers and word rings and YOUR CHILD HAS TO READ THIS TO YOU. It's all a little crazy and not overly demanding and I am loving every minute of it.
3. I've been hitting the kitchen and gym harder than ever - pickier with my time, portions, and reps. I think I've hit my plateau, dropping a total of 8 lbs this summer. I still might not make it in to those white these-are-my-goal pants before Labor Day, but my plan is to have them way to big by spring. Once the scale began to move, the motivation was a lot easier. I just spent too many weeks this summer (and injured) with nothing happening.
4. I was worried that my Master's program last year would ruin my desire to read and write. I spent over 30 hours each week on essays and assignments. Alas, I finished close to 50 books this summer. The blog? Not so hot. I began writing searching for fulfillment, engagement, purpose. And because writing has always been a passion. But, I've begun to think about the things that other mommy-bloggers claim, like my child is in Kindergarten. His life should be private even if mine isn't. But what do I write about, if not Mellow? Every consideration I make is linked back to him, every plan and breath. I try to imagine his girlfriend or future wife stumbling over all these hideous typos twenty years from now, embarrassing the mess out of Mellow. I owe him at least that, I think. If I don't keep a record here, the only other thing to prove his childhood existence is iphone photos.
5. Lost both of my key chains by Thursday of this week. Knew it wouldn't take long.